Tuesday, August 30, 2016

In and around Caloundra

After three days staying in the parking spot we thought we'd better move on. We had a fair bit of washing to do - so off to the laundromat and then to a camp spot 10 kilometres away, where we could hang our washing between some trees. (We didn't think we could do that in our carpark spot!)

We were right near a rainforest walk, which we did - it was very nice for being just next to the highway. There were lots of mangy looking bush turkeys there wandering around. Apparently they are protected here.
We decided we would head up to Eumundi the next day to check out the Wednesday markets. We stopped overnight about 7km south ofEumundi at  a camp spot just off the road. There were quite a few people there, and some semi permanents as well. It was funny watching a 'domestic' while sitting having our morning coffee!
Randall can't believe how many people don't get their rig level when stopped for the night. We carry levelling blocks and use them regularly. We are very rarely anything but level!
As we drove off, Randall said "They're not level" as we passed each set up.
At Eumundi there are parking Nazis everywhere! We wanted to dump the toilet, but to get to the dump spot, you had to drive into a designated parking area for the markets - through a manned boom gate. We managed to talk our way in, then were guided on our way by three of four people in high vis vests. After that, we scooted off and parked in the back street about 500 metres away - no charge, no people telling us where to park, and a nice walk to the markets!
We stopped and had breakfast at a cafe, with a bit of an argument about getting Randall's coffee hot enough. He likes it at literally 100 degrees, but the coffee 'snobs' as Randall refers to them, roll their eyes and say they'll 'try'. He managed to get an ok one in the end.
I loved wandering around looking at all the stalls. It was good going on a Wednesday, I'm sure there would have been lots more people in the weekend!
I bought a few things then we wandered back to our van and headed back to Caloundra for farewell drinks and tea with our friends Mark and Marlene. On the drive back we saw signs for a display home raffle. We were reminded of a visit to 'Bella Rosa' display home in Surfers Paradise about 20 years ago and taking photos of ourselves and the girls outside and imagining how good it would be to win.
We stopped to look and bought some tickets. Who knows.........
Back to our original parking spot in Caloundra - people watching while we sat inside. A beach sweeper cleaned the beach each morning and watched the driver checking his phone as he drove along. We were rudely awoken by the rubbish truck the next morning, so we moved to another spot by the boat ramp.

One night Randall observed that a boat had not come back after it was launched about lunchtime that day. The car with trailer was still there. He called the police after it got dark, and they came and took some details. Fortunately the boat did come back, but the owners were not that grateful that Randall was concerned. We thought they must have been up to something dodgy!

No comments:

Post a Comment